The Terry Hershey Bayou Stewardship Award
Bayou Preservation Association established the prestigious Terry Hershey Bayou Stewardship Award in 2010 in honor of its founder, Terry Hershey. She, along with then-Congressman George H.W. Bush and developer George Mitchell halted a plan by the Army Corps of Engineers to channelize and concrete Buffalo Bayou in the 1960's. Thanks to these forward-thinking individuals, much of Buffalo Bayou has remained in an a mostly natural state, providing plant and animal habitats, green spaces, and recreational opportunities for countless local residents and visitors. This award recognizes those who have demonstrated an outstanding commitment to aiding in the conservation, preservation, restoration or advocacy of Houston’s waterways.
Each year, the prestigious Terry Hershey Bayou Stewardship Award recognizes members in the community who have demonstrated an outstanding commitment to aiding in the conservation, preservation, restoration and/or advocacy of Houston's waterways. Nominees can be from the nonprofit, public or private sectors. The recipients will be honored at Bayou Preservation Association's 2019 Luncheon on Tuesday, May 21, 2019.
To nominate an individual for the Terry Hershey Bayou Stewardship Award, please provide the following information:
- Name(s) of Nominator and their contact information
- Name of Nominee
- Category of Nominee: Nonprofit, Public Sector, or Private Sector
- Description of Reason for Nomination: In your description of the reason for the nomination of this individual, please consider the following:
- What have been their primary activities to celebrate, protect, and/or restore our region’s bayous, streams and watersheds? Please provide the name of a specific waterway or waterways where the nominee has made an impact.
- How have they advanced or influenced local efforts to improve bayou appreciation (i.e. Getting people out into nature through activities such as paddling, hiking, exploring), bayou citizen science (i.e. improving our knowledge about stream water quality), stream corridor restoration (i.e. Promoting natural channel restoration, removing nonnative exotic plants, or planting native plants), and/or trash free bayous (e.g. Promoting trash cleanups, educating people about how to prevent trash in our local waterways, etc.)?
- How have they been engaged with Bayou Preservation Association or other bayou organizations?
The 2019 nominations process closed on Wednesday, January 23, 2019.
Past Award Winners
2018 Recipient: Mary Anne Piacentini
2017 Recipients: Honorable R. Jack Cagle, Deborah January-Bevers and Dick Benoit
2016 Recipients: Ed Wulfe and John Blount
2015 Recipient: Mark Kramer
2014 Recipient: Jim Robertson
2013 Recipients: George H.W. Bush and George Mitchell
2012 Recipient: Hugh Barrett
2011 Recipient: Art Storey
H-GAC Presents Award to Bayou Preservation Association
Houston-Galveston Area Council’s (H-GAC) Parks and Natural Areas Subcommittee gave a Special Recognition Award to Bayou Preservation Association for habitat restoration efforts in Harris County Precinct 4’s Collins Park. Full article here.